Monday, November 23, 2009

Carla vs Kate

So I've been in Paris for just over three weeks now, and I have to confess that the main thing I miss about London (apart from my friends) is the high street - France might have haute couture, but the UK has great shopping. Not that I am dissing the style in Paris - everyone is frighteningly chic, and they do a lot with a little - jeans, a sweater and a scarf tied just-so, and they look like a million euros. But the shops? Well, maybe I just don't know where to go yet, but I have been walking miles every day, and I've stuck my beak into just about every store I have come across, so it's not as though I haven't been looking. And everything is very simple, very discreet, very neutral - lots of black, grey, beige, navy, white. Very.....nice. But where's the fun?

London shops are an explosion of colours and sequins and patterns and so forth - and so are London girls, but they know how to work that look and they do it brilliantly. I don't know - maybe I shouldn't be comparing Paris elegance to London trendiness, it's like comparing Carla Bruni-Sarkozy to Kate Moss. Both the height of style, but completely different.

But maybe that's a good thing. I'm not sure the French reeeeeeeeeeeally get it right when they try for eccentricity...(see below) I like the jacket, but the matching cat hat? With ears? Aieee...

No comments:

Post a Comment