Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Stories from the supermarket

Today I was in the grocery store, trying to decide on which yogurt to choose and an English-speaking man asked me to help him find the natural yogurt, which I did.  But here's the thing:

1) Hey, I am always happy to help out a fellow stranger in a strange land - when I was in Thailand, I admit I spent some time looking blankly at things on the grocery store shelves, having absolutely no idea what those items were, so it's not like I haven't had the experience myself.  But really?  Yogurt?  I'm quite sure the entire English-speaking world sells them in pretty much the same little pots.  What else would be in them?

2) Okay, it's not like I'm going to be challenging Balzac (or, you know, a third-grader) with my command of the French language anytime soon, but since the word for yogurt in French is "yaourt" and the word for natural in French is "nature", it's not really a massive stretch to work it out for yourself, now is it?  Not to mention the fact that if one of the aforementioned little pots doesn't have a cute little picture on it of a lemon or a strawberry or a coconut, chances are they're not in there.  Honestly.

Disclaimer:  I'm not actually irate about this incident at all, but I was in the mood for a bit of a rant and this was all I had to rant about at the moment.  I was nice to the guy, he went happily away with his yogurt and I am counting it as my good deed for the day...but it was still fun to complain about it to you guys.  Hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment