Thursday, March 18, 2010

I still can't believe there was reggae

Okay, I am reporting back about St Patrick's Day in Paris and the news ain't good.  There may have been good celebrations of this holiday somewhere in this city, but not where I was.  You might think that an Irish pub would be a good place in which to celebrate such an event, correct?  Well, not if you are in the worst Irish pub in the world (and I have been in Irish pubs everywhere from Sligo to Singapore to  San Francisco, so trust me, I have a pretty comprehensive basis for comparison). 

I still had a good time, because I was with a really fun group of people, but really, an Irish pub which wasn't even playing Irish music on St Patrick's Day?  Disgraceful.  Personally, I think the real high point was when the band (who were all as French as beret-wearing poodles) played a reggae version of "Englishman in New York".   Let's just think about that for a moment, shall we?   FRENCH band playing a song written by an ENGLISHMAN about another ENGLISHMAN in NEW YORK.   Played REGGAE-STYLE.   On St Patrick's Day!!!  I just, I.... really, there are just no words, so I will  just leave you to imagine the horror of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment