Monday, May 3, 2010

Paris on 5 euros per day - done!

So it's now May and you may wonder if I did, in fact, manage to get through April on my insane budget of €5 per day?  Well, the answer to that is a resounding oui!!!  It was pretty difficult the first couple of weeks, but working at the bar was the key - not only did I spend all my time there (thereby not going out and spending elsewhere), but they fed me exceedingly well (my 6'2" macho Italian boss gets really irked that I call him my Italian mama - hee!  But really, that's how he feeds me - I've eaten enough pasta to sink a battleship), which meant I hardly had to buy any food at all.  So the end result of this was that I ended the month not only on budget but actually €30 ahead - woohoo!!!  

So now I can relax and have a bit more fun this month, but it was an extremely useful exercise; I know articles advising on budgeting always tell you how much we waste on unnecessary things but it's not until you really buckle down and try to live on a tiny amount of money that you realize how much just gets frittered away - a magazine, a coffee, a pair of Christian Louboutins (okay, that one might just be me - but that was in the past when I was more gainfully employed).  Ahem.  Anyway, the point is this: even if you don't need to do it, give it a try for maybe a week on whatever daily sum looks reasonable to you and see if you can do it, it's a pretty interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment